+ A

Productions stalled, theaters empty due to virus: Shoots abroad have been put on hold as countries ban Koreans from entering

Feb 27,2020
이미지뷰
The film industry is struggling due to the ongoing spread of the coronavirus. Many people are avoiding theaters and production teams have faced troubles while shooting movies as some countries ban travelers from Korea. [NEWS1]
With more countries blocking the entry of visitors coming from Korea, some movie production companies can’t go overseas to film scenes needed for upcoming movies. Blocked entry to Jordan has been the greatest hurdle for the team that’s making the movie tentatively called “Negotiation,” starring actor Hyun Bin and Hwang Jung-min.

The movie is being directed by Yim Soon-rye and has 10 billion won ($8.2 million) worth of investment.

The day after the Jordan government announced its decision to block entries from Korea to prevent the spread of coronavirus earlier this week, the production team started discussions on what to do next. The movie is about rescuing a Korean who’s kidnapped in the Middle East. Hwang plays a diplomat while Hyun Bin plays a national security agent, and filming was supposed to start in Jordan in March.

An official with the film’s distribution company Megabox Plus M said the announcement came while some members of the production team were checking out locations for filming the movie. The team is now not only going to check if they can reschedule the filming date but also inspect other possible filming sites in different countries.

Jordan first captured the eyes of TV fans in Korea when tvN introduced the country for the first time in a local TV drama with its hit “Misaeng: The Incomplete” in 2014. Its exotic scenes put the country on the map as a location for a number of Korean TV shows and films.

With the hurdles the team has faced, the production team for another movie tentatively called “Kidnap” that takes place in the Middle East is also getting nervous. The movie is scheduled to film in Morocco next month.

The film tells the story of a diplomat being kidnapped in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1986, and it stars actors Ha Jung-woo and Ju Ji-hoon. Morocco has yet to ban anyone from coming into the country, yet the team is nervous because the situation can change at any time if more cases of coronavirus are reported. The film’s distribution company Showbox said it is carefully checking the situation as shooting is supposed to begin at the end of next month.

An official with the Korea Film Council said the banning of entering the country due to the reason of quarantine is unheard of when the purpose of visiting is to film.

Filming sites throughout Korea are also taking extra precautions to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Studios have set up machines that check the body temperature outside of their entrances to check everyone in and out, and staff have been instructed to wear masks to keep anyone from getting sick.

“If an actor or staff contracts the virus, the site will come to a stop and production costs will go up dramatically, so everyone is very sensitive,” said an official with the Busan Film Commission.

According to the Korea Film Council, the number of theatergoers dropped more than 50 percent last weekend from the weekend before. About 470,000 people visited cinemas last weekend, while about 1.2 million people did so in the weekend before. Many movies have delayed their openings, and screenings have been canceled.

The opening of “Time to Hunt,” which was scheduled to open yesterday, has been delayed, and the premiere date of animated movie “Onward” has been pushed to April. Many screenings and press conferences have been moved online or gotten canceled. Many art movie theaters have closed, and an independent movie expert said there is no outlet for independent movies to be seen at the moment, even if there are movies ready to be screened.

BY KANG HYE-RAN [summerlee@joongang.co.kr]




현빈도 중동 촬영 못갈 판···요르단, 한국인에 빗장 걸었다

한국이 코로나19 확산으로 인해 요르단 등 6개국과 홍콩에서 ‘빗장’ 대상 국가가 되면서 영화계도 비상이 걸렸다. 해당 지역 로케이션을 준비하던 영화 제작사는 급히 일정 변경 등 대안 검토에 들어갔다.

황정민·현빈 주연의 영화 ‘교섭’(감독 임순례) 제작진은 전날 요르단 정부가 코로나 19 유입을 차단하기 위해 한국인의 입국을 금지한다고 발표하자 24일 대책 회의에 들어갔다. ‘교섭’은 중동 지역에서 납치된 한국인 구출 이야기로 황정민과 현빈이 각각 외교관과 국정원 요원 역을 맡아 3월 중 요르단 촬영을 시작할 예정이었다. 배급사인 메가박스플러스엠 관계자는 “현재 선발대 일부가 요르단 답사 중인 상황에 난데없이 발표가 난 것”이라며 “촬영 일정 조율 외에 다른 후보지도 검토할 것으로 안다”고 말했다.

요르단은 2014년 tvN ‘미생’이 국내 드라마 최초로 로케이션 촬영을 하면서 이국적인 풍광으로 눈길을 끌었다. ‘교섭’은 배경이 중동이라고만 알려질 뿐 요르단을 특정하진 않은 상태다. 임 감독이 국내 여성 감독으로는 처음으로 100억원대 규모 메가폰을 잡아 기대를 모으는 대작이다. 요르단은 한국인 외에 확진자가 급증하고 있는 중국인과 이란인의 입국도 함께 금지했다.

중동을 배경으로 한 또 다른 영화 ‘피랍’(감독 김성훈)도 다음 달 북아프리카 모로코 촬영을 앞두고 긴장하고 있다. 하정우‧주지훈 주연의 ‘피랍’은 1986년 레바논 베이루트에서 발생한 외교관 납치사건을 소재로 한다. 모로코가 한국으로부터 입국을 금지하지는 않았지만 전염병 확산에 따라 상황이 급변할 가능성이 있다. 배급사 쇼박스 측은 “3월 말 크랭크인 예정이라 아직 시간은 있다. 상황을 지켜보는 중”이라고 말했다.

최근 중동은 이란에서 코로나19로 인한 사망한 환자가 12명으로 늘어나면서 인접 국가들에 비상이 걸렸다. 이란과 교류가 잦은 쿠웨이트, 바레인, 이라크 등에서 잇따라 확진자가 발생하고 있다. 앞서 레바논과 아랍에미리트(UAE) 역시 이란에 다녀온 사람이나 여행 온 이란인 중에 확진자가 발생했다.

외교부에 따르면 한국인 및 한국을 경유한 외국인에 대해 입국을 금지한 국가는 24일 낮까지 6개국(이스라엘, 바레인, 요르단, 키리바시, 사모아, 미국령 사모아)이었다. 같은 날 밤 늦게 홍콩도 이 대열에 합류했다. 입국 절차를 강화하고 입국시 자가 격리를 실시하는 국가는 마카오·카타르 외에 대만까지 추가돼 총 10개국으로 늘었다. 영국, 브루나이, 투르크메니스탄, 카자흐스탄, 마카오, 오만, 에티오피아, 우간다, 카타르 등이다. 미국은 한국에 대한 여행 경보를 1단계(주의)에서 2단계(경계)로 올렸다.

영화진흥위원회 관계자는 “해외 촬영이 방역 목적 이유로 입국 불허되는 건 전례 없는 일”이라고 말했다. 실제로 국제보건기구(WHO)의 국제보건규칙(IHR 2005)은 ‘질병 확산을 통제하더라도 국가 간 이동을 불필요하게 방해해선 안 된다’(2조)는 원칙을 두고 있다. 최대한 넓게 잡더라도 ‘의심·감염 환자 입국 거부’나 ‘비감염자의 감염 지역 입국 차단’까진 허용하지만 출입국 자체를 원천 봉쇄하라는 의미는 아니다. 다행히 사태 악화 전 모로코 촬영을 마친 김윤석·조인성 주연 ‘모가디슈’(감독 류승완)나 해외 촬영을 끝낸 하정우 주연의 ‘1947 보스톤’(감독 강제규) 등은 가슴을 쓸어내리며 후반 작업 중이다.

국내 촬영 현장에도 긴장감이 역력하다. 부산영상위원회 관계자는 “배우나 스태프가 코로나19에 감염되면 현장이 마비되고 제작비가 기하급수적으로 늘어나기 때문에 촬영장이 극도로 예민한 분위기”라고 전했다. 현장 입구에 발열 체크기를 비치해놓고 스태프 모두 마스크를 쓰고 촬영하기도 한다.

영진위 통합전산망에 따르면 지난 주말(22~23일) 극장 관객 수는 약 47만명으로 전주 주말(15~16일) 120만명과 비교해 50% 이상 급감했다. 이에 따라 개봉을 미루거나 시사회 등 관련 이벤트를 취소하는 영화들도 줄 잇고 있다.

26일 개봉 예정이던 ‘사냥의 시간’과 다음 달 5일 개봉 예정이던 ‘결백’ ‘이장’, 다큐멘터리 ‘밥정’은 개봉을 연기했다. 3월 12일 개봉 예정이던 박신혜·전종서 주연 스릴러 ‘콜’도 잠정 연기했고 같은 날 개봉작 ‘침입자’도 일정을 신중 검토 중이다. 디즈니·픽사 애니메이션 ‘온워드:단 하루의 기적’은 3월에서 4월로 옮겼다. 대부분의 시사회와 관객과의 대화(GV)는 온라인으로 대체되거나 취소됐다. 한 독립영화 관계자는 “아트하우스 모모와 상상마당 등 다수의 예술영화관이 당분간 휴관에 들어간 터라 영화 상영을 원해도 실제 관객을 만나기 어려운 상태”라고 말했다.

강혜란 기자